I think only an idiot would believe that the censorship currently being pushed by on line services, in particular on social media platforms is anything other than a massive march to crush free speech and to side step the 1st amendment in the US.
You only have to read the terms and conditions of any of the big social media sites to realise that free speech is dead. You see the governments (especially the meddling by the EU) forcing social media sites to 'remove offensive content' and threatening them with excessive fines is their way of asserting control over the internet. They pull the strings of the social networks at the whim of the main stream media (or old guard media), who are sick of people who are YouTube content creators releasing content or making videos that get hundreds or thousands of times more views than their pushed propaganda. This 'fake news' epidemic is simply way to control opinions they don't agree with.
Basically they are having cops and lawyers chase down internet 'trolls' for offending some of the social justice warrior snow flakes, you know, because they got offended. This is of course taking the cops time and resources from the less important crimes they should be investigating, you know, rape, murder & child abuse.
The scary thing about this is that before Trump got elected no one really cared about 'fake news' which of course does have some crack pots but in general is opinions that the governments or MSM doesn't agree with. Now this isn't all from the tin foil hat conspiracy theory brigade. In fact some genuine content is included, for example you can rip on and criticise any religion, except one, you know the one, the religion of peace. Speak about that in a negative manner and watch it be buried in search, demonetised on youtube of get you a ban on twitter.
So how do we fight this? Well here are some alternatives
- Google search - Duckduckgo.com- It may not bring everything a Google search would but it will suffice for most peoples usage
- Youtube - Bitchute.com - A peer to peer bit torrent based you tube alternative that allows you to automatically mirror your YouTube content.
- Youtube - Vid.me - A YouTube alternative 'With a better community'. It has had some controversy recently, they unverified a user who tweeted Eli the computer guy, because Eli highlighted their flaws. They also recently imposed a 50GB total uploaded space limit. You can tip and subscribe to users (Patreon like) on this platform.
- Facebook - Minds.com - Minds is a very quick, very clean interface alternative to Facebook. Its got encrypted chat and gives you bonus points for posting which can be used to promote your posts/videos across their platform.
- Twitter - Gab.ai - The free speech social platform that has unfortunately gained so much press that the MSN has started to force them to censor and delete posts. There was apps for mobile devices but Apple won't allow them and Google recently banned them in the play store on android devices too.
And on the software side
- Chrome/Firefox/Edge/Internet Explorer - Opera - Opera has been off the radar for some time but recently they purchased a VPN company and built that into their browser for free, they also included an ad block as standard. Its also far less resource hungry than Chrome
- Adobe Photoshop - For most Gimp will suffice, I personally use pixlr.com as I find it far quicker for doing the thumbnails used on my channels.
- Adobe Premier - Black Magic's DaVinci Resolve - The new version 14 of this software has reduced all the resources required across the board and sped up the software immensely. It has a free version that most of my most recent videos have been edited on even on my laptop.
The only way we can weather this storm is to fight back hitting them where it hurts.. their wallets.
Do you have any sites I have missed? Or do you think I should do overviews of these sites, let me know on one of my social media platforms.